Thursday, October 31, 2013

3 Reasons Why I Love Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

As the fall admission season winds down, Mr. Turner '00 explains why he loves Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

Passion

Winner, winner - chicken dinner
Thank God my wife loves this show, because I watch it whenever it's on. Triple-D attracts me not only because of the great food, but also because of the passion that comes through from the owners. Many of these folks have taken big gambles and have made huge sacrifices to follow their dream of opening a restaurant. They've been rewarded by success, yes, but more remarkably by a loyal and fervent fan base. These are not customers - they are fanatics and they want others to share in the experience.

Diversity

Guy and his crew, sampling unique dishes from Maine to Florida, the Jersey Shore to Hawaii and all points in between, have covered a lot of ground. Each joint has something special - Jamaican jerk chicken in Philly or pierogies in Cleveland, for example. All of the places, however, love to serve their fans and refuse to cut corners. In all they do, there is a commitment to excellence and service.

Tradition

Hungry?
The next time you travel to visit family or friends, I'm sure your hosts have their favorite spot where "everybody goes" and it's "been here forever. And oh yeah, their meatloaf is the best!" I'm jealous because Guy gets to visit these places all the time. He's able to experience historic eateries that mean a great deal to those who cherish them.

Although Guy and I don't have the same job, my co-workers and I do get a taste of similar passion, diversity, and tradition each fall as we visit over 70 grammar schools in the Delaware Valley. I marvel at the community, excellence, and character that these schools - private, parochial, and public - cultivate. I compare our visits to Guy's - they are an opportunity to witness the ingredients that make a place great. If you want to see what makes St. Joe's Prep great, come to our Open House.

If Mr. Fieri comes back to town soon, I have a few spots he needs to visit.

This blog post was written by Mr. Ed Turner '00, Director of Admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment